oy. so it's only been a million years since i started this project :) but here we are!
i *just* finished the last cushion slip, and decided to take a short break to begin this post before i revealed the fantastic finish! [nothing like a little procrastination... aka... rest!]
i undertook this project almost two months ago, thinking it would be a nice side-project. [see my explanation of why in "covering a couch: prologue."] a federal grant proposal and a death in the family later... i'm a little behind. but who can blame me?? :)
part of the reason i undertook this was to see if i could do it. that is how many of my artistic/crafty endeavors begin... much like the martha-inspired pumpkin, or cheap sun-catchers for my porch, i was inspired, and thought "hey, i think i can do that."
i'm here, 52 days later, to say that i have climbed the couch slip-cover mountain, and stabbed the peak with my "yes i can" flag. [insert audience applause here.] call me crazy, but i think you could too :)
things i would have done differently? i would have not begun this project 2 weeks before a major proposal was due. i would also get help... i'm bad at asking for help, and don't know a ton of people who can sew [hey... i'm new in town, so my sphere has a small radius]... but i would find those people, befriend them, and then invite them over for sewing and red wine (in that order).
another thing i would have done differently? i would have overestimated better. i forgot that sewing always has excess... it's not a theoretical endeavor, so i can't just figure the surface area of the couch and go from there... i needed more fabric... a lot more.
the last thing i would have done differently? i would have read the instruction manual for my sewing machine. brilliant, i know.
ok, so i've now got all the slipcovers on... who's ready for a big reveal??? to remind you, here's what the couch looked like initially...
[yes, i have chosen to be real with you and not make my apartment look perfect... lucky you!]
and here is how it looks today...
it's like a cloud of happiness :) i did choose to leave the hem raw [those of you with a close eye may have noticed!]... the truth is, i like it a little frayed (though i do need to even in out in a few spots... and it may mean that i need to trim it each time i wash it), but it leaves me the option to change it up a little later if i want, with a ruffly skirt... or a nice pleat :)
a few small changes (aside from the couch) to note... the ribbons on the fan are new, to coordinate with the freshly covered couch :) i also wove the same ribbon through the fan chain/cord, to calm down the brassy color. and i also covered one of my toss pillows with a fun print (and the fresh green will feature more heavily soon). you can see my quick pillow slip cover here.
to see the whole [and some times painful] experience, check out the mini-series...
--covering a couch: a prologue
--covering a couch: part i
--covering a couch: part i+1
--covering a couch: part i+2
--covering a couch: part i+3
--covering a couch: part i+4
--covering a couch: part i+5
--covering a couch: part i+6
--covering a couch: part i+7
--covering a couch: part i+8
i'm linking to the slipcover party @ pink and polka dot... since this was my inspiration and guide :) thanks, kristi! :)
and also to...
tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
The Girl Creative
The DIY Show Off
The House in Roses
Tools are for Women Too
House of Grace
Thrifty Decor Chick
House of Hepworths
Fireflies and Jellybeans
The Shabby Chic Cottage